Students take flowers cut them up and pull them apart to discover what is inside and then attach the different parts of the flower to a flower diagram.
Materials Needed: Flower diagram sheet, Pencils, Scissors, Tape, Flower Model, Flowers
- Docent asks students to name the parts of the flower they are familiar with.
- Docent then passes out diagram sheets, flowers, and scissors.
- Students are instructed to look at the diagram sheet to identify the parts of the flower. Docent will then read over the different parts of the flower for younger students or have older students read the parts to them, and ask the students if they have any questions.
- Next, students are told that they should begin dissecting their flowers by cutting through the base of the flower as demonstrated by the Docent, they have to amtch each part of the flower that is named on the diagram sheet with the parts in the flower they find.
- Students are told that they may get assistance from the Docent and adults helping their group if necessary.
- Students are reminded to be careful with the scissors.
- Students are made aware of the tape available to attach the parts of the flower to the diagram sheet.
- During the dissection process Docent demonstrates to students while working with them how flowers reproduce to make seeds so that the plant can produce another generation. (Demonstrate with the real parts how pollen comes off the anther and is rubbed off onto insects or birds and then knocked off at other plants to travel down the pistil to the ovary and make a seed.)
Alabama Course of Study for Science
This activity meets goals specified for grade:
- K–#âs 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
- 1st–#âs 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 19, 21, 24
- 2nd–#âs 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 26, 27
- 3rd–#âs 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 13, 32
- 4th–#âs 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7
- 5th–#âs 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 24
Students will recognize the smaller parts of the flower and how they work together to make new seeds so that the plant can reproduce ensuring new generations of that plant.
- Students will be able to:
- distinguish and name the different parts of a flower.
- dissect a real flower to discover the inside of a flower.
- discuss how a flower reproduces.
- demonstrate how seeds are made and how each part of the flower helps in that process.