Popcorn Food Chain (K-3)
- Docent will seat students in rows.
- Docent will explain that all living things need energy and the sun has a continuous supply. The plants get energy from the sun, the herbivores from the plants, and the carnivores from the herbivores.
- Designate one student as the sun and give him/her the bowl of popcorn.
- The 12 students designated as plants take a handful of popcorn from the sun and each eats some but not all of their popcorn.
- The 6 students designated as plant eaters take popcorn from 2 plants each and eat some but not all of it.
- Each of the 2 students designated as meat eaters takes the unconsumed popcorn from 3 plant eaters.
- Discuss where the energy came from and how it is passed on.
- Discuss what would happen to the cycle if some of the plants or plant eaters were killed.
Text Only Version
University of Alabama Arboretum
and The University of Alabama
Phone: (205) 553-3278 Fax: (205) 553-3278